This position will staff the first floor Welcome Desk in Hale Library and help K-State students, faculty, staff, and community patrons discover and use a wide variety of library resources and services. Helping to secure the library when Hale Library closes for the night, making and checking supply inventory lists, and keeping the library clean are all vital components of this position.
If you are looking for a position that provides you with skills and experience that will help you succeed at K-State and beyond, then please apply!
One positions available, starting January 24, 2021. Must be available 6pm to 10pm on at least 4 of the following 5 nights: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Review of applications will begin on November 16, 2020 and continue untill position is filled.
Following initial training, student specialists will be responsible for a variety of tasks that include, but are not limited to:
- Providing library users with general library information and directions and making appropriate referrals to other services.
- Helping library users with printing and scanning from machines on the first floor
- Cleaning the Welcome Desk area and ensuring it is well-stocked with supplies
- Assisting with closing procedures.
- Assisting with ensuring that emergencies are reported promptly and helping the Night Operations Specialist with appropriate responses to emergency situations.
- Helping enforce library policies on the first floor. These policies include wearing masks and not damaging property.
This position requires applicants to be available to work from 6pm-10pm on at least four of the following days each week of the Spring and Fall semesters: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. For those candidates desiring to also work during breaks and over the summer, shift hours during those times would be adjusted based on our earlier closing times during those periods. Availability during breaks and the summer is not a requirement.
Successful candidates will have the following attributes:
● Strong customer service and interpersonal skills as represented by friendly, engaging, and effective communication both in writing and in speech
● Evidence of reliability, the ability to be a team player, and the ability to follow policies.
● Knowledge of basic computer technology skills and comfort learning new technology.
● Ability to pay attention to detail and respond to new and challenging situations.
● Ability to work with diverse populations.
● Ability to transport, retrieve, and shelve books and other library materials.
● Anticipated graduation date of December 2021 or later.
How To Apply
Complete the application form making sure to include your resume and class schedule.
You will be contacted via your K-State email if you are selected for an interview. Interviews will be conducted through Zoom.