Library Help Student Specialists currently staff the library service desk in the Student Union and help K-State students, faculty, staff, and community patrons discover and use a wide variety of library resources and services.
If you are looking for a position that provides you with skills and experience that will help you succeed at K-State and beyond, then please apply!
Two (2) positions available, starting as soon as possible.
Following initial training, student specialists will be responsible for a variety of tasks that include, but are not limited to:
- Helping library users borrow and return library materials
- Providing library users with general library information
- Independently opening, closing, and maintaining library services and work areas
- Understanding library users’ needs and making appropriate referrals
- Helping library users conduct research and discover resources using SearchIt and online databases
- Participating in campus-wide events (e.g., Open House) to promote the libraries
Students Specialists with exemplary performance may also have the opportunity to serve in an additional role as a Peer research Consultant to provide more advanced research services.
This position requires applicants to be available approximately 10-15 hours / week during the semester (including Finals Week), with availability on some nights and weekends. While not required, hiring preference may be given to students with availability over the summer and during semester breaks.
Successful candidates will have the following attributes:
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills as represented by friendly, engaging, and effective communication both in writing and in speech.
- Knowledge of basic computer technology skills and comfort learning new technology.
- Ability to pay acute attention to detail and dynamically respond to new and challenging situations.
- Ability to transport, retrieve, and shelve books and other library materials.
- Responsible, reliable and a positive team player.
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
- Anticipated graduation date of December 2020 or later.
How To Apply
Complete the application form making sure to include your resume and class schedule.
You will be contacted via your K-State email if you are selected for an interview.