Library Help Student Specialists currently staff the library service desk in the Student Union and help K-State students, faculty, staff, and community patrons discover and use a wide variety of library resources and services.
Helping to secure the library when floors 2,3,4, and 5 close for the night, making and checking supply inventory lists, and keeping the library clearn are all vital components of this position.
If you are looking for a position that provides you with skills and experience that will help you succeed at K-State and beyond, then please apply!
Two (2) positions available, starting dates in early to mid-March. Review of applications will begin on February 20, 2020 and continue until both positions are filled.
Following initial training, student specialists will be responsible for a variety of tasks that include, but are not limited to:
- Helping library users borrow and return library materials
- Providing library users with general library information
- Assisting with opening and closing procedures and with maintenance of library services and work areas
- Understanding library users’ needs and making appropriate referrals
- Helping library users conduct research and discover resources using SearchIt and online databases
- Participating in campus-wide events (e.g., Open House) to promote the libraries
Students Specialists with exemplary performance may also have the opportunity to provide more advanced services.
This position requires applicants to be available approximately 12-16 hours / week during the semester (including Finals Week), with availability during the nighttime hours Sunday-Thursday, between 9pm and 1am. While not required, hiring preference may be given to students with availability over the summer and during semester breaks.
The following are the attributes we are looking for in successful applicants:
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills as represented by friendly, engaging, and effective communication both in writing and in speech.
- Knowledge of basic computer technology skills and comfort learning new technology.
- Ability to pay acute attention to detail and dynamically respond to new and challenging situations.
- Ability to transport, retrieve, and shelve books and other library materials.
- Responsible, reliable and a positive team player.
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
- Anticipated graduation date of December 2020 or later.
How To Apply
Complete the application form making sure to include your resume and class schedule.
You will be contacted via your K-State email if you are selected for an interview.