As K-State Libraries moves further into digital teaching and learning, the Learning Experience and Design Team has become an important part of the Libraries' mission to serve students and other patrons where they are, providing instructional content delivered via cutting edge technology. As a member of this team, the Instructional Design Graduate Assistant will play an important role in the production of high quality, online, hybrid and technology-enhanced courses and course content, enabling effective and engaging teaching and learning experiences.
The graduate assistant will work closely with the Instructinal Design Librarian and members of the Learning Experience and Design Team, as well as the K-State Libraries Academic Services Department. In addition, they will work with colleagues at other institutions as part of a consortial curricular project, the New Literacies Alliance (NLA). The NLA project involves librarians from a number of institutions working with an online learning platform to creat a common curriculum to use as a leveling platform for library research instruction.
The graduate assistant will work with Libraries staff on a variety of projects to create dynamic online learning objects experiences for both in-house training and patron audiences. These projects may involve working with new content delivery ideas including interactive videos, 360 films, VR and AR, open source online learning platforms, UX and instructional design concepts, and front-end web languages, frameworks, and hardware supporting content delivery.
We seek a graduate assistant in Computer Science, Art/Graphic Design, Education, or a closely related field to perform the following core functions:
- Assist in the design and development of NLA lessons, library student training tutorials, and tool-specific tutorials for library patrons
- Draft and create short videos for instruction on databases or other library tools
- Assist with the review and maintenance of LibGuides, online library research guides
- Create new content for existing and new LibGuides
- Assist with the development and review of instructional materials, accessible documents, videos, and/or other resources for online courses in Canvas.
Please note: Other responsibilities relating to the work of the Learning Experience and Design Team may be assigned based on the skills, interests, and career plans of the graduate assistant
- Bachelor's degree in education or related field
- Experience in web design and/or familiarity with WordPress and front-end we languages (i.e., HTML 5, CSS, JS)
- Coursework or demonstrated knowledge of instructional design principles
- Ability to work independently
- Coursework or experience in image editing using tools like Photoshop or Gimp
- Coursework or experience in creating or editing audio and video files
- Experience with audio and video post-production and codecs used in web setting
- Familiarity with the Rapid Prototyping design process
- Familiarity with Information Literacy concepts
- Experience with higher education instructional design, technology and teaching
This position will work approximately 20 hours/week in Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 semesters. Possible opportunity to continue position through the Fall 202/Spring 2021 semesters.
$18/hr paid on a bi-weekly basis.
Complete the application form making sure to upload your resume and class schedule.
You will be contacted via your K-State email if you are selected for an interview.