Basic daily tasks will include newspaper/periodical check-in, basic book repair, labeling and processing. Additional duties may include assisting with various departmental or library projects, preservation projects and cross-training in preparation of bindery shipments and scanning documents.
Hours: Minimum of 12-15 hours on Monday-Friday 8-5 p.m. **Must be available over summer and breaks.**
Preferred knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to work accurately with details
- Ability to interpret and apply information from complex technical and procedural manuals
- Ability to work independently as well as with other library staff
- Ability to organize work efficiently and to perform detailed work under pressure
- Prefer some library experience
- Experience scanning, image editing and/or web page design
- Experience using Microsoft Excel and image editing software such as Adobe Photoshop and Bridge
- Ability to accurately perform repetitive tasks for an extended period of time
- Ability to transport heavy book trucks
- Ability to shelve books above one's head and below one's knees
- Mold spores and/or dust is present in work area
- 20% Basic Book Repair will include: Accurately measure books in need of archival enclosures and creating the enclosures. Cover book jackets using either polyethylene or Mylar covers. Print replacement pages for books and reattaching them. Students will perform book spine replacement process. Bind pamphlets or create pamphlet binders for specialty-sized pamphlets. They will mend ripped or torn pages. Tighten book hinges. Clean books or pages. Open signature pages in bound books that have not been cut.
- 25% Sorting mail, checking-in of periodicals, putting them away, and dusting the current periodical area. Checking-in periodicals requires students to edit our database of holding and item records. This task requires knowledge of cataloging rules and conventions, ability to follow detailed procedures, close attention to detail, and expertise with computers.
- 25% Labeling materials to be placed in the library system: branches, main, university archives, Government Publications and Kansas Documents. This task includes using a computer generated program and various tools to complete processing of materials.
- 25% Assist with projects in the Digital Initiatives Unit. This would include scanning text or images, image enhancement, quality control, and or combining files and batch file changes.
- 5% Additional duties may include assisting with various departmental or library projects, and cross-training in preparation of bindery shipments and the processing in of returned bindery items.
To apply, please download the application form (pdf). Once you have completed the application