Annual Continuing Resource Review
K-State Libraries are in the midst of a five year Strategic Plan that includes goals and objectives intended to ensure good stewardship of our resources and collections. Specifically, the goals state that we will:
- assess acquisitions and collections services to reallocate resources strategically
- develop methodologies to better understand the usage of our collections in order to make informed decisions
- ensure that digital products and technology investments are cost-effective
The move towards acquiring more e-resources during the last several years enables us to take advantage of newer tools that allow for better assessment of our collection use. New policies are in place that allow for continual evaluation of the collection and provide more flexibility for adding new resources or discontinuing those that are seldom used as the needs of our users change.
Emphasis is to continue moving towards one format only for journals (preferably electronic), avoiding the costs of duplicate formats, binding, and processing. We also analyzed Interlibrary Loan statistics to determine if specific heavily-requested titles could be substituted in some of the larger electronic packages for titles that were not being used. Other reasons titles may not be renewed include format changes, changes in curricula or programs, and duplication of content.
- As a result of this process, we are pleased to be starting new subscriptions.
- New subscriptions. New subscription decisions were based on requests and justifications from faculty members and/or content development librarians. What may seem to be an unlikely need to one department, may in fact be quite relevant to another. New subscriptions will be included in the cycle for annual evaluation once they are established and we have enough data to see whether their use warrants continuation (three year probationary period). New requests for consideration can be made anytime through the content development librarians or the librarian with whom you routinely work, although the subscriptions themselves may not start until the beginning of a fiscal or calendar year.
- Databases and Journal titles slated for potential non-renewal. We are happy to report there are only a few individual titles slated for non-renewal during this evaluation cycle. Please review these titles and provide any feedback to the appropriate Librarian by the deadline. Titles will be added to the potential non-renewal list on a quarterly basis. Please check this page frequently.