- About Us
The Friends of K-State Libraries Minutes
Janurary 20, 2014 | 3:30 pm
I. Call to Order
After a tour of Weigel Library from Dean de Noble the business meeting was called to order at 4:03 p.m
II. Approval of Minutes from November 20, 2013
Minutes stand approved as distributed.
III. Treasurer’s Report
The treasurer’s report was distributed with little discussion. David Stone asked about the breakdown of the book sale and mural items. Roberta Johnson said we could provide a project report for that at the next meeting. Roberta announced that the KSU Foundation has instituted a University Advancement Fee. Five percent of all contributions go to the University Advancement Fee to support the Foundation’s efforts.
IV. Dean’s Report
Dean Lori Goetsch could not attend the meeting so Marcia Stockham, Assistant Dean, gave a report in her place.
- The renovation of the Help Desk is completely done. We are still experimenting with the furniture for the area.
- An informal assessment of the new Math/Physics Library was very favorable.
- The Libraries are expecting to take action on some recommendations provided by consultants in order to make progress towards digitization goals for the Libraries 2025 strategic plan.
- Bids have come back for the Annex project by the airport and we are projecting move in will be January 2015.
- Recently the Kansas Board of Regents created a social media policy that has caused controversy at the universities. A task force has been formed to examine the policy which includes two members from K-State.
- It is time for Dean Goetsch five year evaluation. The Board will be contacted in February or March and are encouraged to complete the survey.
V. Liaison’s Report
There are many upcoming events for the Libraries.
- We are working with Union Program Council on a Harry Potter Dinner on February 8 in the Great Room.
- The Libraries is a sponsor of the Black History Month speaker, Harry Belafonte on February 10.
- Our members only event is scheduled for February 25 which will be a food tasting and presentation from Jane Marshall who wrote Teatime to Tailgates.
- There will be a performance with the earth harp in the Great Room on April 6. This is a part of the Creativity Illuminated program series.
- Membership (Darchelle Martin)
Our membership numbers went up in 2013 both in the number of members and amount of money contributed. We will stuff membership solicitation packets for 2014 tomorrow. Following this initial drive, we will look to the board to help reach out for membership renewals.
- Gala (Anne de Noble)
Anne gave a brief update of the plans for the gala titled Hale Team!. The sub committees for food, décor, and programs also gave a brief update.
- Concert Series (Nancy Raleigh, Mary Ellen Titus)
The concert on January 24 had a lot of people and was an excellent concert. Slawomir Dobrzanski will perform the next concert on April 25.
VII. Old Business
A. Collegian Membership
The Friends need to decide if they’d like to continue their partnership with The Collegian. In exchange for a business membership The Friends are offered two ad spaces. Nancy Raleigh moved and Debi Rogers seconded to continue the partnership with The Collegian for 2014. Motion passed.
B. Nominating Committee
Joleen Hill agreed to serve as the chair of the nominating committee. In accordance with the By-Laws, two members of the committee should be voted on by the board. Jan Wissman and Kay Weigel were nominated to join the nominating committee. Motion passed.
Upcoming Meetings: February 27 (Hale 503), and April 24 (Hale 503). All board meeting will be at 3:30 pm. The Annual Meeting will be on May 15 at 5:00 p.m. B. Following the board meeting on February 27 all board members and their spouses are invited to the home of Tim and Anne de Noble, 1900 Sunset Ln. Please join us for wine, beer, and homemade pizza!
A. Upcoming Meetings: February 6 and April 4. All board meeting will be at 3:30 p.m. in Hale Library room 503. The Annual Meeting will be on May 15 at 5:00 p.m.
B. Save the Date: Following tonight’s Meeting, Board Members and spouses and Gala Committee Members and Spouses are invited to a Holiday Gathering at the home of Jan and Don Wissman, 5:30-7:30 pm
Meeting adjourned at 4:59 p.m.