- About Us
Reference Books: Where are they?
Reference books may only be used in the library and not checked out. Books are put in Reference so they will be readily available or because they contain facts that can be briefly checked, photocopied or scanned. Some reference books are available as e-books, including many dictionaries, encyclopedias, & almanacs, and display in our online catalog as Electronic Resource--Internet. Other reference books, available in paper format, display in the online catalog as these locations:
- Reference--Hale 1st floor (largest and main reference collection)
- Dow Ctr Multicultural & Community Studies - Ref - Hale 4th Floor
- Fiedler Engineering Library Reference-1093 Fiedler Hall
- Government Publications Reference - Hale Stack F
- Microforms Reference--Hale 3rd Floor
- Music Reference--Hale 4th Floor
- Veterinary Medical Library Reference - 408 Trotter Hall
- Weigel Architecture Library Reference - 323 Seaton Hall
We have a couple of databases, Gale Virtual Reference Library and Credo Reference, which are great alternatives to Wikipedia. They're good for finding background information, definitions, facts, and lists of resources on a wide variety of subjects. Need more? Try Search It, our discovery tool. Type in your topic in the search box. When the results display, refine your results by choosing "Reference Entries" under "Resource Type".
Reference Books: How do I limit a search in the online catalog to reference books?