- About Us
Books in a specific genre: How can I search for them?
If you are searching for something to read for fun, you may want to browse the Leisure Reading collection, located on the east end of Hale Library's 2nd floor. Otherwise, our materials are organized in our collection by subject, and we use the Library of Congress Call Number System to code those subjects.
So, to find where our books are by genre (e.g., science fiction, mystery, fantasy, romance, historical fiction), you'll need to go to our library catalog.
- In the Search: box, type fiction
- Scroll down and click on Subject Heading so that it displays
- Click Search
- You will see a screen with a list of Headings. Fiction should be first. Click on any one of those and you'll be taken to another list of headings--this list should start with the type of fiction you selected. There will possibly be related headings that get more specific like: Detective and mystery stories, American. You can click on the broader term (Detective and mystery stories) or a narrower one (Detective and mystery stories, American).
- You will now see a list of the titles we have in that genre. Take a look at the location and record the call number. If located in Hale Library Stacks, use the Stacks Guide to learn what floor or stack level in Hale is home to your call number. If located in Special Collections--Hale 5th Floor, (as many of our science fiction and fantasy titles are because they are part of a special collection that was donated to K-State Libraries), you may read them in the Special Collections reading room when they are open (Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm), but the books cannot be checked out. Other common locations are
- Leisure Reading (Hale Library, 2nd floor)
- Juvenile Literature (Hale Library, 4th floor)
These are just a few of the types of fiction in our collection. You can skip a lot of clicking by entering one of them into the Search: box instead of Fiction.
- detective and mystery stories
- fantasy fiction
- graphic novels
- historical fiction
- love stories
- mystery fiction
- western stories
- science fiction