Holdings Records: Truncating Current Periodical Receipts in the Cataloging Module
Staff receiving periodicals in the cataloging module should truncate
current issues when individual receipt lines are extensive. Daily,
weekly, monthly, and quarterly patterns may fall into this category.
General Guidelines | Daily | Weekly/Bi-Weekly
| Monthly | Quarterly
- Verify that all issues have been received before truncating
- Highlight the last receipt line where truncation will end.
As a guide, truncate:
- daily patterns by the month
- weekly patterns by the quarter
- monthly patterns by the quarter or by the year
- quarterly patterns by the year
Issues received out of sequence present unique problems. It may
be necessary to truncate by vol. in order to avoid unusual and/or
long displays in the public catalog.
The following example is from the title Mutation Research.
- Do CTRL-C to copy the highlighted information
- On the first receipt line, place the cursor at the end of the
- Type a dash, i.e., " - "
- Do CTRL-V to paste the information from the last receipt line
- Highlight all the intervening receipt lines
- Delete the highlighted lines.
Dailies should be truncated by the month.
In this example, a receiver should truncate the November issues
when approximately 10 receipts for December have been received.
After truncating, the record would appear like this:
Note that v.37:no.10 has not been received.
Use a comma to show gaps in holdings. The December issues will be
Other types of Patterns:
Serials Team Home Page