Cataloging & Serials: Serials
Processing Cat Seps and Analytics
New volumes are placed on the Serials shelves in the Labelling area.
The shelves should be checked and materials retrieved by the serials
copy catalogers at least two or three times a week.
- Checking in new volumes.
Retrieve the journal title in VOYAGER.
Retreive the authoriity record for the series.
- Authority records with 948 |d [date], where the series has not
been verified within the previous 36 months, must
be re-checked on OCLC; if there is no OCLC authority, the Serials
Cataloger should review the form of the series and the tracing practice.
- Series is accurate: update the 948 |d with the current date.
- Series has changed: import the new series, update the old
series entry, retrieve a new serial record and catalog the title
change before proceeding.
- Check in the new volume on the appropriate holdings record or
in serials check-in and holdings, if applicable.
NOTE: if captions are added, dropped or changed,
continue to use the old caption (in the series tracing and in analytic
call numbers) in order to prevent indexing problems in the online
- Note the series treatment decision in the |x of the holdings 852:
- cs = cat sep
- Insert a CAT SEP flyer into the piece.
- anal = analyzed
- Write the call no. on the page facing the
verso of the title page.
- Insert an ANALYZED flyer into the piece.
- Search for the matching OCLC record for the monograph.
- Import the OCLC record.
- Verify the form of the series; if the series on the piece
differs from the form on the authority record, code the bibliographic
record appropriately with 490/8XX tagging.
- Create a holdings record:
- Update the holdings 008: verify that the correct default
template (for monographs) has been chosen.
- 852 8 |b [location from serial record] |h In Process
- Route the book to the current date In Process shelves.
Serial Cataloging on Voyager
Serials Team Home