Women in Communications, inc., an honorary professional fraternity dedicated to empowering women in the communications professions, was founded in 1909 as Theta Sigma Phi at the University of Washington in Seattle. A local student chapter at Kansas State Agricultural College was petitioned by the Women's Press Club and accepted on June 8, 1916. It's original membership numbered 6 actives and 6 pledges. In 1972, the national organization officially changed it's name from Theta Sigma Phi to Women in Communications, inc. (WICI). At the same time, it reformulated the original objectives to be more in tune with modern times.
Some of the early Theta Sigs include: Velma Carson, Clementine Paddleford, Elizabeth Dickens Shafer, Josephine Hemphill, Velma Lockridge McKee, Alice C. Nichols, Sue Carmody Jones, and Eula Mae Currie Kelly.
The Women in Communications, inc. Records (1916-1977) were transferred to the University Archives in 1985. They contain correspondence, annual reports, secretary and treasurer notebooks, and information on the annual Matrix banguet. The majority of the collection contains scrapbooks documenting the clubs activities from 1918 to 1967.
3 record boxes Register. Acc. No. U 85.26
A second installment to the Women in Communications, inc. Records (1985-1994) contains correspondence, by-laws, annual and officers reports, meeting agendas, financial information, membership lists, newsletters, pamphlets and conference material.
1 document box Register. Acc. No. U 94.12