Rules for Use
The Department of Special Collections staff actively encourages and promotes the use of the collections. Procedures for use are designed to assure proper handling of material consistent with the Department's commitment to preserving these collections for future generations.
Registration and Security Regulations
- All materials are non-circulating and cannot be taken out of the Department. Stack areas are closed to the public.
- Researchers and visitors are required to sign the registration book upon entering and leaving the room, and to state the purpose of their visit.
- A K-State identification card, drivers's license, or other photographic identification, is to be presented to the staff member at the reference desk at each visit.
- Only items necessary for research are allowed in the reading room. Personal belongings, such as briefcases, purses, and coats, must be stored in the entry closet.
Use and Care of the Collection
- Pencils only. Accidents occur, no matter how careful one is, therefore no pens are allowed.
- A black and white photocopy machine is available. All copies will be made by staff. Copies cost ten cents each: exact change required. A departmental requisition form is required to charge photocopying to a department.
- NOTICE: Warning Concerning Copyright Restrictions
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
The institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
- Please help us preserve the condition of the material by exercising the greatest possible care with fragile items.
- Please leave unbound items, such as manuscripts and photographs, in the order in which they were delivered. If they appear to be out of order, please inform the staff member on duty.
- If you receive a book with uncut pages, please bring it to the attention of the staff.
- Leave materials on the table when you are finished. Remember to get your belongings from the closet.
- If you plan on returning in the near future to use the same materials, arrangements can be made to have it held for you.
Research Room Etiquette
- Food, drinks, and tobacco products are not permitted in the reading room.
- PCs may be used; use of other items, such as digital recorders, scanners, or cameras, must be approved by the staff.
- As a courtesy to other researchers, the use of cell phones is prohibited in the reading room.
- please credit the Morse Department of Special Collections, Hale Library, Kansas State University. Please contact a staff member should you have any questions. A donation of any publication involving the use of the collections would be greatly appreciated.