K-State Libraries 
Great Room Mural

K-State Libraries
Kansas State University: A Brief Chronology
1858     Bluemont Central College Association chartered by Territory of Kansas (Feb. 09)
1859 Cornerstone of Bluemont Central College building laid (May 10)
1860 Bluemont Central College opened (Jan. 09)
1862 Morrill Act signed by President Lincoln (July 02)
1863 Joseph Denison elected first president
Provisions of Morrill Act accepted by State of Kansas (Feb. 03)
Act passed transferring Bluemont Central College to State of Kansas (Feb. 16)
Kansas State Agricultural College opened with 52 students; 26 men and 26 women (Sept. 02)
1867 First graduating class of 5 students: 2 men and 3 women
1868 First Farmers' Institute held
1871 155 acres of the present campus purchased for college farm
First master's degree granted
1873 John A. Anderson became second president
First building erected on present campus, Farm Machinery Hall (demolished 1963)
1874 First Alumni Association meeting held
1875 College instruction transferred to present campus
Engineering Shops erected (oldest remaining building on campus)
1876 Chemical laboratory erected (now Holtz Hall)
1879 North wing of Anderson Hall erected (central portion 1882, south wing 1884)
George T. Fairchild became third president
1883 Bluemont Central College building razed
1887 Hatch Act approved for support of agricultural experiment stations
1894 Library and Agricultural Science Hall completed (named Fairchild Hall in 1902)
Provision made for heating campus buildings by steam
Electric lighting introduced on campus
1896 Royal Purple chosen as the school color by two representatives from each class
1897 Thomas E. Will became fourth president
1898 Domestic Science building completed, the first building in the U.S. built for the sole purpose of teaching home economics (named Kedzie Hall in 1902)
Four year curricula adopted in areas of agriculture, engineering, household economics and general
1899 George Washington Owens, first black graduate
Ernest R. Nichols became fifth president
1900 Enrollment, 1,321
Agriculture Hall erected (now Holton Hall)
1901 Minnie M. Howell, first female black graduate
First agricultural experiment station established at Ft. Hays
1902 Denison Hall built for chemistry, physics and electrical engineering (burned 1934)
1904 Architecture curriculum added
Beginning of summer sessions
Structure now known Art Building erected
Old auditorium built (burned 1965)
1905 Four year curriculum in veterinary medicine offered
1906 Garden City Branch Experiment Station established
1907 Dickens Hall erected for horticulture
1908 Curriculum in civil engineering added
Council of Deans created
Calvin Hall erected for home economics
Veterinary Hall erected (now Leasure Hall)
1909 Henry J. Waters became sixth president
1910 All curricula revised; class periods changed from 60 to 50 minutes
Engineering Experiment Station established
1911 Four year curriculum in industrial journalism provided
Nichols Gym completed
Tribune Branch Experiment Station established
1912 Divisions of Agriculture, Engineering, Home Economics, General Science and Extension organized
1913 Colby Branch Experiment Station established
East wing of Waters Hall erected
State educational institutions placed under State Board of Administration
1914 Smith Lever Act for Cooperative Extension Service approved
1917 All state institutions placed under single Board of Administration
Calendar changed from three term to semester plan
Curriculum in flour-mill engineering adopted
1918 William M. Jardine became seventh president
Six wooden buildings erected for students' army training corps
1919 Division of Veterinary Medicine organized
Graduate Council created
1920 Four year curriculum in music offered
1921 Royal Purple was officially approved by the faculty as the school color
"K" constructed on Prospect Hill
1922 Thompson Hall erected
1923 President's house built
Veterinary clinics building erected (now Burt Hall)
West wing of Waters Hall erected
West wing of Memorial Stadium erected (east wing, 1924)
1924 Broadcasting station KSAC formally created
Curriculum in chemical engineering adopted
1925 Curriculum in architectural engineering adopted
Francis D. Farrell became eighth president
State Board of Administration became State Board of Regents
1926 Van Zile Hall completed, residence hall for women
1927 Library building completed (named Farrell Library in 1955; name changed to Hale after 1997 expansion)
1928 First female veterinary medical student, Helen Richt
Power Plant erected
1929 Fred A. Shannon, history department, received Pulitzer Prize
1930 "S" added to Prospect Hill
1931 Curriculum in commerce offered
Division of Graduate Study created by Regents
KSAC became Kansas State College of Agriculture and Applied Science (KSC) [09 Mar 1931]
1932 Curriculum in veterinary medicine extended to five years
1933 Curriculum in milling industry replaced flour-mill engineering
Dairy barn erected
First PhD granted by K-State (chemistry)
1935 Kansas law passed requiring male students to take 2 years of military training
1936 Curriculum in industrial arts authorized
1939 Physical Science Building completed (now Willard Hall)
1942 "Divisions" of graduate work, agriculture, engineering and architecture, home economics and veterinary medicine changed to "schools"
Division of General Science became School of Arts and Sciences
1943 Milton S. Eisenhower became ninth president, first alumnus and native Kansan to be president
1944 First mid-year commencement held in January
K-State Endowment Association established
No smoking rule on campus abolished
First female student body president, Ethelinda Parrish (Amos)
1945 Institute of Citizenship created
1947 Kansas Agricultural Council on Education and Research established
1948 First television station in Kansas at K-State
1949 Artificial insemination project established
1950 Curriculum in undergraduate and graduate elementary education provided
Enrollment 6,867
James A. McCain took office as the tenth president
1951 Ahearn Fieldhouse completed (first basketball game Dec. 09, 1950)
Faculty Senate established
Tenure system for faculty adopted
1953 Education department received full accreditation by American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
1955 Putnam scholarship program established
1956 K-State signed contract with U.S. government to provide assistance to India
Original section of K-State Union constructed
Regents authorized KSC to offer BA in humanities and social sciences
1959 KSC became Kansas State University of Agriculture and Applied Science [27 Mar 1959]
Dept. of Business Administration moved into Calvin Hall; College of Home Economics moved to Justin Hall
1960 First PhD program in humanities was initiated in English department
First permanent residence hall for men opened (Goodnow Hall)
1962 Business administration departments became School of Commerce
1963 KSU Centennial
K-State began assisting Ahmadu Bello University in Nigeria through Agency for International Development
School of Education established
School of Commerce became College of Commerce
1964 College of Architecture and Design established from School of Engineering
1965 Old Auditorium burned
School of Education became College of Education
ROTC became optional
1966 Alfred M. Landon delivered the first Landon Lecture
1967 Kansas 1949 loyalty oath declared unconstitutional
1968 Football stadium constructed
Nichols Gym burned
Rev. Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy spoke on campus the year they were assassinated
University for Man held its first classes
1969 Veryl Switzer hired as director of minority and cultural affairs
1970 New auditorium completed (named for President McCain, 1975)
College of Commerce became the College of Business Administration
1975 Duane C. Acker became the eleventh president
First black student body president elected, Bernard Franklin
1977 International Student Center dedicated
1978 Veterinary Medical complex completed
1980 First Provost employed (Owen J. Koeppe)
International Trade Institute established
1981 Bluemont and Throckmorton Halls completed
1983 Durland Hall (Phase II) dedicated
1985 Reconstruction of Nichols Hall completed
1986 Jon Wefald selected as the twelfth president
1987 Fall enrollment, 18,048
$2.6 million in scholarships awarded to 2,396 students
1988 Bramlage Coliseum & Chemistry/Biochemistry building completed
1990 Vanier Football Complex
1991 Bob Dole Hall - Regents Educational Communication Center completed
KSU Foundation and KSU Alumni move to the Foundation Center (old Farm Bureau building)
Kansas College of Technology-Salina becomes Kansas State University-Salina campus
1994 Merrill Hall - Throckmorton Plant Sciences Center completed
Galichia Institute for Gerontology and Family Studies completed
1995 Chester E. Peters Recreation Complex - Addition completed
Football Indoor Practice Field completed
1996 Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art completed
1997 Hale Library expansion completed
Rathbone Hall
Harbin Hall (K-State Salina)
1999 KSU Stadium
National Gas Machinery Lab
2000 Fiedler Hall
KSU Student Union Renovation
2001 Chandler Institute for Child and Family Studies
Hoeflin Early Childhood Education Center - Addition and Renovation

spacer
 
logo
http://www.lib.k-state.edu