This website provides the means by which users can identify specific images and request that they be scanned. Scanned images will be delivered via the Internet. When digital images are available, users are linked directly to the K-State Research Exchange (KREx), Kansas State University's digital repository.
How to use this site:
- Select a county and year - on the map, click on a county to see the years of coverage. The display for each year will indicate the number of index sheets for that county/year.
- Display the index sheet - the index sheet is a mosaic of all of the images for that area. There may just be one index sheet for a county/year or multiple index sheets as indicated by the numbering scheme. Click the number that best corresponds to the area of interest in the county. With the index sheet displayed, click on the image to zoom in for better visibility. Use the arrows and slide bar below the image to find the desired area.
- Identify the desired image(s) - zooming into the index sheet image reveals a white alpha-numeric code in the corner of each individual photograph. (e.g. ZB-1KK-38). This alpha-numeric code is the unique identifier for the photograph.
- Determine if K-State Libraries has the desired image(s) - there is an inventory of all photographs available for each index sheet. Under the index sheet image will be one of two messages: "Check image availability here" or "Some images available online." Click the underlined text to open the inventory of holdings. The inventory is arranged by flight pattern rather than sequence, so the desired alpha-numeric code should be found in the same approximate area of the county as the image. White cells indicate photographs in the collection; shaded cells indicate photographs that are not available.
- Order or access the image(s) - if the inventory sheet indicates the images are available online through KREx, clicking the image number initiates a KREx search and brings up the result. Click on the title and then View/Open. If a digital image is not in KREx, enter the Alpha-numeric code for the desired image(s) in the KAPI image request form, along with your name and email address, and click Submit. Library staff will contact you with information on obtaining the image(s) online.