Log In | Contact Us| View Cart (0)
Browse Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

College of Veterinary Medicine | Morse Department of Special Collections

Name: College of Veterinary Medicine


Historical Note:

1863: Kansas State Agricultural College was founded.

1866: Courses on animal health were offered to agriculture students but there was no established degree for Veterinary Medicine yet.

1872: The first veterinary classes were taught but were discontinued shortly after this in 1874.

1888: Veterinary instruction was offered once again.

1905: A Division of Veterinary Medicine was established with the help of Dr. F.S. Schoenlieber.  This division offered a four-year D.V.M. degree.

1907: The first students graduated with the D.V.M. degree.

1908: Construction completed on Veterinary Hall (currently Leasure Hall).

1912: First black graduate (Dr. John W. Brown) from the College of Veterinary Medicine at KSAC.

1919: Division of Veterinary Medicine established as a separate entity from the College of Agriculture.

1923: Construction completed on Veterinary Hospital (Burt Hall).

1927: A six year general science and veterinary medicine curriculum is introduced but dropped in 1938.

1931: Name changed from Kansas State Agricultural College (KSAC) to Kansas State College of Agriculture and Applied Science (KSC).

1932: Veterinary medicine program changed to 5 years with one year being used for prerequisite classes.

1932: First female graduate (Dr. Helen S. Richt).

1936: The Board of Regents limits the enrollment into the Veterinary Medicine program with President Farrell setting up a selection committee.

1939: Junior American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) chartered at KSC.

1948: Curriculum changed to add two years of pre-veterinary courses a requirement.  The program is now a six-year program.

1955: Construction completed on the Veterinary Hospital (Dykstra Hall).

1959: Kansas State College of Agriculture and Applied Science (KSC) becomes Kansas State University (KSU).

1962: Students create a Pre-Veterinary Club.

1963: The School of Veterinary Medicine is renamed to the College of Veterinary Medicine.

1963: Formal ties are created with the Ahmadu Bello University in Nigeria.

1969: Sigma chapter of the honorary society Phi Zeta established at Kansas State University.

1975: Genesis, a year book for veterinary students was first introduced.

1976: First year contracts for admitting veterinary students are required.

1977: KSU ends its agreement with Ahmadu Bello University.

1977: The D.V.M. program establishes the requirement of a 3.0 GPA for admission into the program.

1978: Department moves into the Veterinary Sciences Building (Mosier Hall).

1978: Kansas State Legislature designates the College of Veterinary Medicine as a separate state agency.  Also designates the College as KSU Veterinary Medical Center.

1983: The College of Veterinary Medicine holds their own commencement ceremony separate from the other colleges.

1986: Contract agreement between the University of Nebraska and Kansas State University established so that Nebraska students could attend veterinary classes at Kansas State University.

1986: Veterinary Medical Teaching Building is renamed to Trotter Hall.

1992: First time the college of Veterinary Medicine graduates more female students than male students.

1997: Dr. Rudy Clarenburg Memorial Lecture series begins.

1999: Clinical Sciences building is renamed Mosier Hall.

1999: Veterinary Scholars Early Admission Program started.

1999: “A Kind Touch” statue is dedicated to Dr. Robert E. Kind.

2000: Veterinary Sciences Building renamed to Coles Hall.

2003: Ground is broken for Biosecurity Research Building.

2004: Agreement with Nebraska is ended.

2005: College of Veterinary Medicine celebrates their centennial.

2005: Centennial Plaza and Whispering Garden Pet Memorial built.

Note Author: James Smith





Page Generated in: 0.071 seconds (using 116 queries).
Using 7.99MB of memory. (Peak of 8.16MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-2.1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign