Log In | Contact Us| View Cart (0)
Browse Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Kansas Sate University. Alpha of Clovia (1931-) | Morse Department of Special Collections

Name: Kansas Sate University. Alpha of Clovia (1931-)


Historical Note: Clovia first was conceptualized in 1930, at the beginning of the Great Depression, when some former 4-H women had meetings in their rooms. These meetings built their friendship, and an idea for a social organization for former 4-H women was born. In 1931, these women decided to live together in a cooperative manner - sharing housework and possessions to reduce costs. Mary Jordan, Ellen Blair, and Mr. M.H. Coe, State 4-H Leader at the time, helped organize the group. Officially, Clovia was founded at Kansas State University on September 7, 1931. Clovia was housed in two locations before moving to the current site. The ground was broken for our present house in the spring of 1967, when the hard work of Clovia's alumni and the Kansas 4-H foundation started to pay off. The Kansas 4-H foundation constructed our present house as one of its projects to promote and support Kansas 4-H programs. When Clovia was first formed, it was classified as a sorority and was a member of the Panhellenic Council. On October 18, 1961, Clovia decided to withdraw from the Panhellenic Council, so it is now considered to be an independent cooperative house.
Sources: http://www.alphaofclovia.org/about/index.html#tab4



Page Generated in: 0.059 seconds (using 91 queries).
Using 6.85MB of memory. (Peak of 7MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-2.1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign