Log In | Contact Us| View Cart (0)
Browse Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Roberston Corporation (1881-) | Morse Department of Special Collections

Name: Roberston Corporation (1881-)


Historical Note:

1881  Company Established in Brownstown, IN; R. M. Robertson born-son of founder;          Burr/Stone Ground Wheat Flour and Corn Meal

1890  Steel Roller Mills; Refined White Flour

1900  Wheat Bran first sold as feed; White Frost flour; White Fawn flour

1919  Death of Charles Andrew Robertson, surviving founder

1920  First "formula feed" mixed-"Emco Pig Meal"

1925  Pioneer High Patent Flour, Degerminated Pearl Meal

1931  "Self-Rising Flour"

1932  "Hoosier" (Depression Clear) Family Flour

1933  Dick Robertson sold Riggles Stores, Mitchell, IN, 2,000 barrels (196-200 lbs) of White Frost Family Flour doe $2.50 a barrel. That was the largest flour sale Robertson ever made. Wheat was about $.30 a bushel at the time

1936  Pioneer Breakfast Cereal

1938  Purchased Lemon Mill in Bedford, IN; Development of first special "glue-extender" flour-forerunner of Glu-X, now used by plywood furniture industries. First sold to Hoosier Panel Company.

1939  Started buying soybeans

1940  Purchased Ginger Feed and Elevator Company, Jeffersonville, IN; First "Enriched Flour" in Indiana-"Kitchen King"

1941  "Robin Hood" and Bakery Fours distributed at Jeffersonville, IN; "Special" Cookie and Cracker Flours

1942  Fire destroyed most of Ewing Mill

1943  Rebuilt Corn Meal Mill at Ewing

1945  Acquired farmer's Hominy Mill in Seymour, IN

1946  Pioneer Hi-Ratio Cake Flour

1947  Exporting Government specification relief flour again

1948  Balanced Dog Food Produced-"Triple-R"

1949  Discontinued corn meal production; Emco Feed sold in "Dress Bags"-same material to  make dresses

1950  Cob Mill at Ewing

1951  Development of industrial cob processing

1952  Early trials with rye and sorghum milling-unsatisfactory

1957  Glu-X Registered at United States Patent Office

1960  Early computerized feed formula

1963  Glu-X shipped to first Southern Pine Plywood-GP at Fordyce, AR

1965  Rebuilt Ewing Mill (including Cob Mill) as GLU-X Mill

1966  Robertson's "Triple-R" Livestock and Dog Feeds Regulation United States Patent Office

1970  Development of Sepro-X (soy energy protein extrusion process)

1971  Research project with Kansas State University regarding new cereal starches

1972  Death of R. M. Robertson

1973  100th Anniversary of Roller Mills in the United States

1979  Robertson publishes "State of the Art" paper regarding extenders and fillers

1980  Robertson donates antique mill machinery to the Smithsonian Institute; Utilization of computerized near infra red reflectance methods for extender research, analytical evaluation and quality control

1981  C. R. Robertson died: Jerry O. Robertson named Director of The Robertson Corporation; Centennial: Struck coin; Published commemorative Planner

1983  Invented and filed patent for Pan-X Composition Board Extender

1984  Initiated Computerized mail marketing of exotic Bird and Fish Feeds

1985  Marketed both Glu-X Extender and Lignocelluslosic Filler to Panel Industry and published paper for Forest Products Research Society regarding the roles of these products in coming years

1986  Seymour remodeled for bulk-to-bag packing; Made large shipments of Glu-X to Brazil; Made Patent Office Appointment for Glu-X West Trademark; First continuing bulk Glu-X tanker shipments; Acquired Associate Mill in Plainville,          IN; Remodeled Brownstown wheat elevator; Fire completely destroyed Bedford          Mill; Bedford Marketing Office established at 1714 L Street.

1987  Established RII Production Facilities in Washington State; Marketing Glu-X West in Northwest by RII

1988  Spray-X Registered United States Patent Office; continued international promotion

1991  Jill Robertson, 5th generation from founder appointed as first woman to serve on corporation board

1992  Established total quality and statistical process control systems

1993  Moved Bedford office to new marketing office at 1032 W. Spring Street in Brownstown, IN

1994  Transferred Seymour Mill property through charitable sale to city of Seymour and contribution to Jackson County Community Foundation

1995  Continued research on soy derivatives, tannins & other adhesive additives; Significant Spray-X and Glu-X production started in RMI Building

1996  Significant Extender-Additive research initiated with objective of producing Soy-Modified Glu-X for improving benefits in wood panel adhesive technology; Trademarks  filed in United States Patent Office for Soy-Ply and Soy-Fill

1997  R.S. Robertson, Chairman died. R. R. (oldest son, Phil) elected President and second son, John "Butch" appointed to the Board of Directors; Joe E. Robertson (3rd generation from founder) appointed Chairman Dr. Joe Robertson Jr. and Jerry O.  Robertson reappointed as outside directors; Sherrell Perry-Assistant          Secretary/Treasurer is first female and non-family officer of the corporation

1998  Phil Robertson retired; John Robertson elected President; Doug Nuss employed as Vice  President-second non-family officer of the corporation

1998  1999-Practical evaluations and trials of Ag-Fiber Panel Boards containing Wheatboard  Filler and/or Soy-Fill Flakes as enhancing additives or furnishes

2000  The New Millineum-Glu-X and Spray-X established as standards of excellence in Extender; Soy-Fill and Wheatboard created and developed by Robertson R&D (Research and Development) for future use in the composition fiber panel          industry




Page Generated in: 0.064 seconds (using 91 queries).
Using 6.87MB of memory. (Peak of 7.03MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-2.1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign