- About Us
We manifest the land-grant values and rich history of our university. We elevate academic success as an integral partner in research, learning, and discovery. We advocate for our campus and our community, connect their imaginations to information, and number their successes among our own.
The Libraries employ approximately 100 staff full-time, including faculty librarians, unclassified professionals, and classified professionals. The part-time student staff numbers approximately 60.
K-State Libraries recognize the outstanding service and work of the staff with three annual awards:
- The Brice G. Hobrock Distinguished Faculty Award recognizes outstanding librarianship and superior accomplishments among the tenure-track faculty.
- The Classified Employee of the Year Award recognizes the special contributions and dedication among the classified professionals.
- The Dean's Award recognizes exceptional contributions to K-State Libraries by non-tenure track unclassified professional staff.
All of the K-State Libraries venues offer areas for individual and group study and often include technology-enabled meeting rooms. Inside Hale Library, the Great Room, part of historic Farrell Library, anchors the third floor Quiet Zone for focused individual work, while the area around Library Help on the second floor is a hub of activity for group projects and study.
When classes are in session, Hale is open 24 hours a day, 5 days a week, plus weekend hours. This ensures that whenever students need a place to study, the Libraries can be a first option. Additionally, the Anita C. Lehner 24 Hour Study Area inside Hale Library is open 365 days a year for study space or computer use.
Collectively we maintain more than two million volumes to support the diverse academic, instructional, and research activities of Kansas State University. Technology allows students and faculty to be outside the library building, off campus, and even out of the country and still have the ability to access online databases, journals, and books. Personal research assistance is available from anywhere through the Libraries' website and services like Ask a Librarian.
K-State Libraries began when the property of Bluemont Central College, including a library of 2,700 volumes, became Kansas State Agricultural College in 1863. From that one building, the collected materials were moved four times to various buildings across campus (Farm Machinery Hall, Anderson Hall, Fairchild Hall, and Farrell Library).
In 1926, construction began on a building with the purpose of housing only the libraries' collections. That building has been renovated three times, most recently with the dedication of Hale Library in 1997. In addition to Hale, there are five branch libraries: Fiedler Engineering Library, Math/Physics Library, K-State Salina Library, Veterinary Medical Library, and Paul Weigel Library of Architecture, Planning and Design. Over the years other branch libraries have existed but are now incorporated into Hale and the existing branches.